Education is not just the amassing of information and its purpose is not mere career hunting. It is a means of developing a fully integrated personality and enabling one to grow effectively into the likeness of the ideal that one has set before oneself. Student life is precious period of inner culture, a period concerned with the very important task of laying the foundation of one’s character and personality. Upon this alone depends the making of one’s life.
Yoga is not only asana and pranayama; it’s an attitude, an awareness of one’s interaction with life and the ability to ensure smooth passage through moments of difficulty. Once student practices, studies and understands Yoga, his daily moments are filled with yogic awareness and that plays a very vital part in the maturing of students mind and consciousness.
Practices that are found in the Yogic system of education can be easily integrated into the student’s regular school system. For example – Instead of just asking the students to study and memorize a lecture, we can also give them easy practices that further help in developing their mental potential – resulting in overall enhancement in performance. Such a program will benefit both adults and children. They can be taught;
- Certain mantras for fine-tuning listening skills and for positive effect of sound vibrations on the brain
- Techniques like Trataka, certain mudras to enhance their concentration and memory
- Yoga postures that bring about important physiological effects, such as balancing hormonal development, developing the nervous system and stimulating the systems of the body
- Breathing techniques can be introduced. They are excellent way to control runaway emotions such as hysterical laughter and excessive anger
Children should play and have fun. Playing balances the muscular and nervous energies. It circulates blood throughout the system many times over. If a child sits in front of the TV, Mobiles and Video games or just studies all day, his blood circulation becomes very sluggish like a choked drain. Not only it results in various health issues like obesity but also his overall personality and studies suffer.
It is heartening to note that researchers are now discussing and recommending measures that yogic practices are designed to achieve in development of students holistic personality. The researches have indicated that those children who received the Yoga training performed better on:
- Attention/concentration, Mental balance, Visual retention, Remote memory
- Measures of creativity
- On self-confidence and self-esteem
- These students had also shown remarkable change in general discipline as far as the parents could observe
Children do not become great just through qualifications. They become great through the quality of their mind, intelligence and receptivity and this is based upon how much they are able to receive, retain and give!
The life of a student is a preparation for shouldering the great responsibilities of the future. They are the builders of the nation and the world of tomorrow – Let’s play a positive role in it TODAY…